Thursday 18 August 2016

Walking In Woods. Assignment 4; More Reflections and Photography

Having discussed my work with my Peer Hangout Group and reflected on my work so far, I felt that I needed to get out with the camera again and look more deeply at the woods I walk through.  I feel that the work so far is too literal and portrays a nature that is perfect, which, of course it isn't.  In my last blog I suggested that to address this imbalance I intended to try different styles of photography.  On reflection I don't feel this is the answer; as one colleague said, "using different styles/techniques would be like buying an expensive dictionary before you knew what you wanted to say."  I think that I needed to go back and walk the woods again and look for what is really there not just what I would like to be there.  To this end I have spent time looking beyond what I find attractive and instead looked for that which makes me feel uncomfortable and unsettling, darker, perhaps.  I have taken notice of fly tipping and 'rubbish' left by a landowner, holes and dark places, death and the cause of death.  I happened to be there at twilight one day and plan to return again to observe and photograph the wood as day becomes twilight and then night.


























No comments:

Post a Comment