Monday 22 August 2016

Walking in Woods. Assignment 4; Further Reflection

I am currently struggling to access a PDF writer in order to present my body of work in  a book format with the images paired and viewed side by side.  Meanwhile I have printed off both sets of images and also ones of the paths I walk and I am laying them out in order to edit them and trying out different layouts.

On another subject I have just read the essay The Machine and the Garden by Andy Grundberg and I begin to see where my Hangout Colleagues are coming from.  I was particularly struct by the sentence: "Today photographers can no longer pretend that the natural world exists in splendid, edenic isolation, remote from human culture and human interference, as Ansel Adams was able to do in 1927." I think this is what I was doing in my first draft of this assignment and is what my Hangout colleagues were trying to tell me.  When I have reflected on the essay I shall blog my thoughts and how it may affect the work I am doing.  I am also conscious that I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I also notice in the course notes that we should consider the use of image and text.  I will reread and reflect on Roland Barthes essay 'Rhetoric of the Image' .

When my tutor read my blog on Why I Walk (link here)  he noted that I had referenced Rebecca Solnit who, in her book Wanderlust, writes of phenomenologist Edmund Husserl who described walking as the experience by which we understand our body in relationship to the world.  He suggested that I look more into this and so I have found and printed the 1931 essay that the quote came fro.  I need to read and reflect on this.

Other reading includes and essay on 'The Aesthetics of Affect' by Simon O'Sullivan which my tutor also feels could be pertinent to my work.  I have read the essay, but it takes some 'getting my head around' and needs a reread, reflect and blog.

Plenty of work to be doing.



No comments:

Post a Comment