Monday 20 April 2015

First Thoughts

I have begun my work by reading the course notes for Part 1 in both units and have also dipped into the Visual Culture Reader and read essays by Susan Sontag (The Image World from On Photography) and  Walter Benjamin (The work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction.

As my passion, both in life and photography is for landscape and wildlife, I am going to begin my Body of Work in this direction.  In Level 2 Landscape we had to look at the  Eliot Porter's 'Intimate Landscapes' and produce work in the same vein.  I was really inspired by his work as I felt that it fitted in very much with my own personal style.  Towards the end of PWDP I carried out a piece of research into Porter.  This link will take the reader to this piece of work in my PWDP blog.

I began my wildlife photography journey some 30 years ago by visiting a private woodland, Scallows Hall, and setting up a winter feeding station.  As our children grew up and family took up more time and I progressed in my career, which also took up time, my photography and visits to Scallows took a back seat.  I have recently renewed my acquaintance with Scallows and have decided to use the wood and surroundings as a basis for my Body of Work, using Eliot Porter, especially Intimate Landscapes, but also his wildlife work as my starting point.  My theme currently would be to produce a Body of Work entitled 'A Year in the Life of a Wood'.  As I use my wildlife and landscape photography as a basis for talks to local groups ranging form ladies and church groups to camera clubs and wildlife groups such as The Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust and the RSPB, my body of work may fill this function as well as a possible exhibition/book.  I am aware that I need to be more experimental and risk taking so some images may not fit into the format of talk, but would an exhibition.

I have been working on this idea for some time since I handed my PWDP work in for final assessment and below are a few initial images (To view them large, please click on an image).



























No comments:

Post a Comment