Monday 19 September 2016

Woodland Dystopia and Darkness

I have recently revisited the woods both looking for some more 'less comfortable' images and also to experiment with some night photography in order to portray a darker side of the woods.

The following are typical of views that I see every time I walk into the woods, but not ones that I would naturally choose to photograph.  However they do illustrate how little humans care for nature around them.  It can be seen that the mattress has been dumped at the beginning of a footpath where people enjoy walking.  It is to be hoped that the forestry workers will make good after their tree felling.  We have to remember that trees are a crop and are managed and harvested like any other, but tree operations do not leave the wood pleasant for walking.  As William A. Ewing says in Landmark ' People come and go, the land is patient and will outlast us all.'  This wood will repair itself given time.






I have also visited the woods at night to attempt to portray the darker, more mysterious side of woods the atmosphere that we read of in some of our darker fairy stories and folk tales.  Some of the photographs are single long exposure images using ambient light and some have been illuminated by torchlight.  I some I have used 'in camera' multiple exposures both with ambient light and torch light.  In one shot a car came past during the exposure, also lighting the scene.  In these images I was looking for images that displayed some ambiguity.  I hope to return for some more experiments.









No comments:

Post a Comment