Wednesday 28 October 2015

Possible Images for Assignment 2

My body of work for Assignment 2 is about The River Witham.  It rises in the limestone hills of the Lincoln Edge close to the village of South Witham, flows north and then north east as a fast flowing, chalk stream to Lincoln, where it enters the Brayford Pool and then  flows first east and then south to Boston, where after passing through the Great Sluice it becomes tidal and flows out to sea into the Wash.

I grew up on the banks of the Witham; travelled to Lincoln, Boston and Kings Cross on steam hauled and later diesel trains, fished in it, collected train numbers by it, ran in cross-country races beside it and swam in it.  Inspired by the Lincolnshire poet laureate, Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem, The Brook, I see the river as a metaphor for life; mine and the river's. Tennyson's lines from the poem 'men may come and ,men may go, but I go on for ever' are a particularly poignant reminder of the transience of human life, when compared to that of the river as it flows out to sea to continue its infinite life.

I have edited 270 photographs down to 31 for this assignment but have produced them in two versions.  The first set are straight images, whereas the second I have used the 'aged photo' preset in Lightroom to give them an old feel as if I had just discovered them in my parents' attic.  The idea behind this is that this project alludes to my life and personal memory and I wonder if the aged photo look might evoke this idea.

Captions and references to The Brook are to be added later.

Set 1 straight images





























Set 2: Aged Photos
sss






























At the moment my inclination is to use the first set as what I am trying to achieve in this assignment is a set of photographs that speak of the river's journey and past history and also of my memory and journey through life, but in a narrative documentary style.  The second set, whist being appealing, I feel represents memory and the past but not the documentary current story of the life of the river.  Either way Tennyson's The Brook will be the linking theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment