Wednesday 6 May 2015

More thoughts on Photographs for Assignment 1.

As well as working on the conceptual side of this module, I feel that it is important to keep getting out and taking photographs.  The shot below was taken with a long exposure to show the spirit of movement in the tree. Taken last Autumn this shot may, perhaps fit somewhat in the postmodern bracket. As I have mentioned elsewhere in this blog, I am interested in photographing trees and woodland.  If I am being purely modernist, then I would use a fast shutter speed combined with a small aperture to produce a sharp image with all movement stopped; motion frozen in time. (Prodger, 2012, p.5)  I am, however, interested in the fact that trees are living organisms that have life and movement and wanted to capture that spirit of movement and so used a long exposure.  I am not sure that this image has worked, but it is a technique with which I shall continue to experiment.

 Another experimental shot from last Autumn where I wanted to concentrate on the colours of the leaves in an abstract way.
 I am fascinated by working in really close and challenging the viewers concept of reality and scale.  These images of tree bark could be landscapes taken from space.




 Some more conventional spring woodland shots follow.








A view looking vertically down on the woodland floor.

 A bit of an experiment here.  A dandelion in close up to challenge the viewer to wonder what it actually is.


Prodger, P. (2012) Ansel Adams: Photography from the Mountains to the Sea, USA, Peabody Essex Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment